PDA

View Full Version : The Basics

Airgator0470
January 25th, 2017, 05:11 PM
OK... this guy takes time to grown on you... sort of a dry personality but he's a true been there done that guy. What I like the MOST about him his is straight forward no bullshit proclamation reference to the BASICS OF MARKSMANSHIP.

I know part of the disappointment in the Mac class was the class hovered around the basics... but really listen to this guy and what he has to say. I've said it 1000+ times... solid performance is rooted in the basics. I also agree with his analysis as to how important the up-downs are. Yes... boring and not "cool"... but like he says towards the end... staying alive is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UxYyhp4qDg

Tack Driver
January 25th, 2017, 06:06 PM
I can dig it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SGB
January 25th, 2017, 07:10 PM
http://s7.tinypic.com/ortfzr_th.jpg

FLT
January 25th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Not that I know anything about gun fighting, but what he says sounds logical and has the ring of truth to me.

30plusretlaw
January 26th, 2017, 01:03 AM
It would be nice to train with this gentleman.

AB
January 26th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I liked what he said about cardboard being more than cardboard. It reminded me of the following quote:

"Be deadly serious in your training. Your opponent must always be present in your mind, whether you sit or stand or walk or raise your arms. Should you in combat strike a karate blow, you must have no doubt whatsoever that the one blow decides everything. If you have made an error, you will be the one who falls. You must always be prepared for such an eventuality."

Gichin Funakoshi

AB
January 26th, 2017, 07:52 AM
I'm a big fan of his second principle as well (the above quote is the first)

"Train with heart and soul without worrying about theory. Very often the individual who lacks that essential quality of deadly seriousness will take refuge in theory."

Hell, I may just look up and post all of them. They were a big part of my youth.

Jafar
January 26th, 2017, 08:12 AM
I'm a big fan of his second principle as well (the above quote is the first)

"Train with heart and soul without worrying about theory. Very often the individual who lacks that essential quality of deadly seriousness will take refuge in theory."

Hell, I may just look up and post all of them. They were a big part of my youth.

Karate-do Kyohan is on the book shelf. I'm not a stickler for Shotokan, especially the kata that was adapted for "competitive" use. But most people don't realize that up until the 1920's Japan had no idea of Karate-do and only practiced Judo, and that it was Funakoshi that brought it to the mainland from Okinawa.

There's another quote from a different time on theory; "doctrine is the haven of the unimaginative."

Evil_McNasty
January 26th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Do we have some closet black belts on here?

Jafar
January 26th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Do we have some closet black belts on here?

There's a lot of important lessons from the East that are lost on us as a society and as a warrior culture. Obviously reading Musashi is highly recommended, but also check out Kenji Tokitsu's The Inner Art of Karate. Even if we have no interest in learning that particular style or discipline, the subject explanation in the book is superb. One of the greatest lessons from that particular text is understanding timing and tempo in violence. The deeper it gets we realize that just like physical motions and muscle memory from all the actions we perform with a weapon, we can move deeper into engraining thought as muscle memory, making tactical decision making a stream lined process. This obviously shortens the time span in the loop and allows the mind to operate in the void under high stress and friction. I think you'd dig it.

Evil_McNasty
January 26th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I have read Musashi, a couple times actually. It, along with Japanese martial arts, shaped me as a child and young man. The discipline it gave me was like no other activity I have ever tried growing up. Most kids probably have the same experience if they were doing it for the right reasons. The search for greatness without ego.

I haven't heard of the 2nd book you mention. I will check it out.

FLT
January 26th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Note to self, don't scrap with EM. He knows that sneaky oriental fighting stuff! ;)

Jafar
January 26th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Note to self, don't scrap with EM. He knows that sneaky oriental fighting stuff! ;)

On the street it's often referred to as Hoo Flung Dung. :chinese:

0utlaw
January 26th, 2017, 11:07 AM
<------Black belt in ClickPow

Downrange
May 1st, 2017, 03:55 PM
Karate-do Kyohan is on the book shelf. I'm not a stickler for Shotokan, especially the kata that was adapted for "competitive" use. But most people don't realize that up until the 1920's Japan had no idea of Karate-do and only practiced Judo, and that it was Funakoshi that brought it to the mainland from Okinawa.

There's another quote from a different time on theory; "doctrine is the haven of the unimaginative."

Like my dad used to say, "There's more than one way to kill a cat". Of course he also said, "The only good cat is a stir-fried cat". But I chalked that up to excessive time in the bush.