PDA

View Full Version : one foot in the wildcats den

mapper
January 4th, 2017, 12:40 AM
I wanted to do something diffrent, learn about case forming to other calibers, powder selection choices, and load development but still not go all the way in the wildcats den.
I wanted to use a parent case that was 223 for availibility and cost.
I wanted not to give up case capacity from the parent case, but still had load data from a similar caliber with a little less capacity, so I would not have to invent my own wheel.
I wanted to be able to use other components I had that I currently load for instead of gearing up for a new caliber.
I wanted to be able to have just a barrel swap, and maybe a diffrent mag in a AR platform.
I wanted something that used common powders that I already had on hand as well.
I wanted something that was a step up from 223 in bullet selection.

So since I already load 223,6 mm rem, and 243, the 223 cases and 6 mm bullet issue was simple.
6x45 is a Saami cartridge and there is a lot of load data for it.
The wildcat that appealed to me had just a little more case capacity so I could use the 6x45 data.

I didn't want to do anything case forming wise other than sizing, trimming and fireforming.
I did have a neck turning lathe if I needed to turn necks, but prefered a brass option that did not require it.
Lake city brass does not require turning, but Lapua does.
I also wanted an option of buying sized brass if all the above didn't work out like I thought it would.

Because I have 55/75/87/105 gr wt bullets my choice that fit the above requirements was a 6 mm mongoose.

And I know that 6x45 would have been easier, just a simple neck up, and not require fireforming.

It should be a education.

Evil_McNasty
January 4th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Oooh, that's a slippery slope man! But if you have access to a bore reamer, it would be cool to create your own cartridge. The "22Mapper". The "6mm Mapper"

I am about to get back into loading belted magnum rounds. But I don't think I really had it properly figured out when I did it before. Seemed like the resize die had a hard time seating all the way down to the belt....or something like that.

mapper
January 4th, 2017, 01:07 PM
I'm aware that the entrance to the wild cat den is greased with imperial sizing wax.
:)

FLT
January 4th, 2017, 01:13 PM
That's as slick as it gets.

0utlaw
January 4th, 2017, 02:05 PM
I'll stick to cougars..............

Cattle/Horses
January 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I'll stick to cougars..............

Huh, just last year you were hunting cubs!

Many of you know I was very excited about bear season

0utlaw
January 4th, 2017, 05:05 PM
You know I don't cull

BlueBronco
January 19th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Did you ever look at the .25 45 Sharps? It seems that cases are easy to form for it.

mapper
January 19th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I think it is just a straight neck up of a 223 case, like the 6x45 so forming is just a trip through the die.

But that also means case capacities are the same.
Based on load data for 6x45 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzuroq2iOSD7S2JDRFFYMFQtRTg/view

I think a 87 gr bullet to go 3000 fps May be optimistic in the sharps.
Not saying it is not possible.

I'm seeing 2900 fps from a 24" barrel and h335 from the link above In a 6x45.

I wanted to stick to 6 mm with a 223 case so I did not look at any other sizes.
Just wanted to learn the process first.

Better performance would require more case capacity, and the 223 is about limited there.
Otherwise same case capacity and a higher bc bullet only goes so far.

BlueBronco
January 19th, 2017, 07:45 PM
I think it is just a straight neck up of a 223 case, like the 6x45 so forming is just a trip through the die.

But that also means case capacities are the same.
Based on load data for 6x45 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzuroq2iOSD7S2JDRFFYMFQtRTg/view

I think a 87 gr bullet to go 3000 fps May be optimistic in the sharps.
Not saying it is not possible.

I'm seeing 2900 fps from a 24" barrel and h335 from the link above In a 6x45.

I wanted to stick to 6 mm with a 223 case so I did not look at any other sizes.
Just wanted to learn the process first.

Better performance would require more case capacity, and the 223 is about limited there.
Otherwise same case capacity and a higher bc bullet only goes so far.

They are showing a 20" test barrel on this page. 20" barrel seems to be the longest one available at present. Sharps is selling 70 gr Blitz King, 87 gr FMJ 87 gr HotCor, and 100gr Dead Tough. Bullets are definitely the limitation due to seating limitations.

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/25-45-sharps/ammunition/

mapper
January 19th, 2017, 08:20 PM
You can get a little more room for seating (0.030 or so) in metal ar mags as they are thinner.

Sharps load data.
http://srcarms.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/25-45-Sharps-Reloading-Data.pdf

Mongoose data
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dEmHCV3VyJP1s-RTpxW8G68UQ-cd1cfMfP25hDdiY9A/htmlview

I'm not knocking any other caliber, as there are lots of choices.
But component cost and availibility,brass forming procedure, powder and bullet selection, magazine limitations and seating depth, case capacity, all have considerations. Some more than others.

Both of these are variations of 6x45
I have just stuck my toe in the wildcat den,
Others have far more knowledge than me, but I wanted to learn.