PDA

View Full Version : USPSA Equipment Survey

AB
December 26th, 2016, 12:25 PM
The USPSA hands out fairly extensive surveys to the competitors at their national level events. While this holds a lot of interest to me as a competitive shooter, because of the link between competitive gear and what we end up seeing being adopted in self-defense/military/LE circles I thought others here might be interested as well. Of course, this is a game and all of the equipment is designed to win the game, but national-level competitors don't invest in gear that won't perform or won't last so there is value in that to all.

AB
December 26th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Let me know how visible the graphic is. It looks OK on my desktop with the wide screen and all. I also have the stats from the "carry optics" division, which is like Production with a red dot on the slide. I can scan the pages in directly or just type out the high points.

JMW4570
December 26th, 2016, 04:24 PM
It pops up fine when you click on it.

0utlaw
December 26th, 2016, 05:33 PM
It seems kinda odd that Bladetech is by far the most popular holster but a distant third in mag pouches :chinscratch:

Evil_McNasty
December 31st, 2016, 12:30 PM
Hell there are some companies on there that I've never heard of. CZ being the top pidtol is interesting too

AB
December 31st, 2016, 01:05 PM
It seems kinda odd that Bladetech is by far the most popular holster but a distant third in mag pouches :chinscratch:

Competitors. We're a fickle bunch. Also, BT seems to spend more time on their holsters than their mag pouches!

Hell there are some companies on there that I've never heard of. CZ being the top pidtol is interesting too

You can make a CZ trigger super awesome and still be in the rules of the Production Division, and the weight of the pistol makes it settle very fast in 9mm. They are very accurate and take a wide variety of sights.

substratum
December 31st, 2016, 06:46 PM
I was just reading about Tanfoglio, (which I was admittedly bias against based upon EAA that imports them) and learned they started building pistols after WWII based upon CZ designed-pistols. When you consider the CZ and Tanfoglio from a design standpoint, then 48% of the guns used in USPSA events are based upon a CZ design.

AB
January 1st, 2017, 08:34 AM
Yep, that's true, at least in Production Division at the national level.

Jafar
January 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM
No .45's were recorded in the charts. Are they not legal? I thought you received a more lenient scoring matrix in IPSC.

Frady
January 1st, 2017, 01:27 PM
No .45's were recorded in the charts. Are they not legal? I thought you received a more lenient scoring matrix in IPSC.
Production doesn't score caliber differently.

Many of the other divisions offer lower penalties for C and D zone hits for higher power factor (velocity x weight of projectile) loads. That's why .40 or .38 super are so popular in other divisions such as limited or open.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JMW4570
January 1st, 2017, 02:17 PM
Its a game. Thats why people are using just the minimum loads to get the minor or major power factor in the category. Cowboy action shooting went the same way. Sad.

AB
January 1st, 2017, 03:37 PM
If you're shooting Limited, .40 is the way to go (although current rules about stage design are making .45 more viable again). .45 is popular in Single Stack Division. Production was designed to be minor caliber, 10 round maximum, off-the-shelf kind of stuff. Of course, you give gamers ANY wiggle room and you end up with customized all-steel CZ's dominating the division at the national level when probably none of them would carry that gun as an EDC piece.

My hat is always off to folks that shoot what they carry (or at least close) in competition. I'm still shooting my Glock 35 which has 90% crossover with my 22. Well, until I break bad and start shooting my STI 2011 again. No plans to do it anytime soon, but I can't deny the STI is a finely tuned machine that is a blast to run.

AB
January 2nd, 2017, 09:53 AM
Here's the pages from the Carry Optics Division..

seadog
January 2nd, 2017, 10:30 AM
AB , thanks for posting this.

AB
January 2nd, 2017, 12:08 PM
I thought it was good information about what the top shooters are using, at least in the sport side of things. If someone wants to look at buying, this is a great place to start. I'll post the Limited and Open divisions later when they come out or I find them. They have less relevance to the folks here, but I'll post them anyway.