PDA

View Full Version : Realoding newbie

holtdoublej
July 22nd, 2016, 08:27 PM
Im looking into reloading primarily for .300 BLK, but also for 9mm, .223, and .270. Which do you guys recommend, the RCBS turret or the lee classic turret?

AB
July 22nd, 2016, 08:38 PM
Neither. Go with Dillon Precision stuff. They have a chart that makes recommendations for how much you plan on reloading. Buy once, cry once.

mapper
July 22nd, 2016, 09:51 PM
Look at it from the number of rounds needed total, and the time availible to load.
Then work backwards.

I have red and blue presses.
As well as red blue and green dies.

But it will generally shake out in this order
High volume = progressive
Medium volume = self indexing turret or standard turret
Lower volume or high(er) precision of each step = single stage

But like everything else there are exceptions to rules.

Everyone has their favorite gear

But between the two choices you listed id take the lee classic cast turret.
As turrets are $12, so fast and easy caliber swaps
And I like mine for both pistol and rifle.

Don't worry though, someone else will come along and say a rockchucker, or a co-ax, or a redding T7, or dillon 650 or a hornady lock n load ap

In otherwords 'Murica!

AB
July 22nd, 2016, 10:06 PM
I'm partial to the Dillon 650 myself, but I could see someone going for the RL550B if they weren't going to shoot as much. The two reasons I don't get a 1050 are #1 - It's considered a commercial machine, so the free replacement parts I get with the 650 isn't there, and #2 - Although it jams up much less frequently than the 650, when the 650 jams up (which isn't often), I can fix it 99% of the time by tapping it. When a 1050 jams up, it's much more involved.

Every year at the USPSA National Championships, the competitors fill out an equipment survey that is very comprehensive. USPSA is pretty much the gold standard for high-volume shooters, in case you didn't know, and at the 2015 Nationals, 93% of Limited Division shooters and 97% of Open Division shooters used Dillon reloading equipment for their match ammo. I have a link around here somewhere that showed the automatic powder dispenser on the 650 was the most consistent powder dispenser out there on any progressive press. It costs, but worth every penny and then some.

I sort of understand Mapper's polygamy, I do...

AUfish11
July 22nd, 2016, 10:19 PM
I've been reloading since the first of the year on a single stage press (RCBS), mainly because it was a present. I enjoy it but it's slow. My next press will be a Dillon 550 or 650 not really because I shoot a lot but I don't have that much time.

Also, check out The Reloading Podcast they have a lot of good information and a couple of podcasts on presses.

Johnny
July 23rd, 2016, 08:50 AM
I hav used a rcbs rockchucker for over 40 yrs,have used several different brands for the last 54yrs.I use a lee for my pistol ammo,no problem.I had a Dillon 20yrs ago and hated the damn jamming thing.

AB
July 23rd, 2016, 09:02 AM
Which Dillon? I've never had that problem and I've been using them for about 17 years. Between my old roommate and I we had two 650's and a 1050 at one point and they run like champs. While I'm always ready to accept a lemon in the production line it would be the exception rather than the rule.

Johnny
July 23rd, 2016, 10:43 AM
AB,i do not remember which one but it was unacceptable I still have a lyman turret press that my son is using that is over 50yrs old.

holtdoublej
August 7th, 2016, 10:59 PM
My dad just bought a RCBS rock chucker supreme master kit. What are the best dies to use for .300 BLK.

FLT
August 7th, 2016, 11:16 PM
RCBS small base, I think in the 300BLK they call them the AR series.

substratum
August 8th, 2016, 06:02 AM
I use a RCBS press that I purchased as a teen, about 40 years ago. It is slow, but for my purposes, it's fine.

I don't know if they still do this or not, but DHS (gun shop on Centerville Road, between the Fleishman's), used to offer a reloading class, after which they'd allow you to use their presses in the reloading room). That's a good way to try out a few different brands of reloaders.

CoachLongShot
August 8th, 2016, 06:21 AM
You should also spend some time reading the "Reloading" section of the forum. Lots of good information and "How do I..." type questions and answers.

Coach.

Greg Kulbick
August 8th, 2016, 10:24 AM
How do I... get someone else to do all this shit for me and still pay less for ammo with no initial outlay of cash for equipment and/or materials?

mapper
August 8th, 2016, 10:51 AM
:dunno:

substratum
August 8th, 2016, 10:56 AM
How do I... get someone else to do all this shit for me and still pay less for ammo with no initial outlay of cash for equipment and/or materials?
Simple - turn it into a government entitlement program; make sure you set the parameters so that you qualify.

Jafar
August 8th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Simple - turn it into a government entitlement program; make sure you set the parameters so that you qualify.

In that case, I self-identify as an ammo-sexual. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

mapper
August 8th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I'm trans-caliber, where do I sign up?

Shooter940
August 18th, 2016, 02:41 PM
All that fast reloading is great until you get this!
A 9mm ball round stuck in the barrel....Squib Load....First and last since I went from a self indexing turret back to a single stage!

e.money83
August 18th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Well that sucks, hope you got it cleared without incident.

Dale Gribble
August 18th, 2016, 02:54 PM
It happens. Even with factory ammo.

Shooter940
August 18th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Well that sucks, hope you got it cleared without incident.

Yep luckily it cleared with no damage.....Real lucky on this one.
We were doing double-tap practice when it happened.
I cleared the stovepipe and was going to fire again when something told me to not pull the trigger again!

Yep Dale that is correct.....Thankfully I have not experienced it....YET!

e.money83
August 18th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Glad you listened to your gut on that one!

holtdoublej
August 21st, 2016, 09:32 PM
What case trimmers is everyone using. I've been looking at the Lyman universal. Any personal experiences with this one?

FLT
August 21st, 2016, 09:57 PM
The universal shell holder is fast to use and fits almost ever thing. That in it's self is a big plus, all in all I like them.

AB
August 22nd, 2016, 09:38 AM
All that fast reloading is great until you get this!
A 9mm ball round stuck in the barrel....Squib Load....First and last since I went from a self indexing turret back to a single stage!

Which press were you using?

Cattle/Horses
August 22nd, 2016, 10:26 AM
What case trimmers is everyone using. I've been looking at the Lyman universal. Any personal experiences with this one?

RCBS trim dies, files and a RCBS deburrer. Of course I only reload my hunting rounds, 20-40 at a time. This is the setup I stared with in the late 70's. I'm sure there's better today.

FLT
August 22nd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Maybe, but definitely not any more precise .

Shooter940
August 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM

I use the Lyman universal as well as LEE quick trim, and some of the Little Crow Gunworks, and can't remember the name right now but a gentelman down in south Florida make some like the Little Crow.
I'm not real fond of the LEE quick trimmer does not seem to trim all the same for me!

The Lyman are great trimmers!

Shooter940
August 22nd, 2016, 02:14 PM
Which press were you using?

I was using the LEE 4 die turret press but after the squib I took the auto advance rod out and turned it into a manual advance... I use it like a single stage now.
I also use the RCBS Rock Chucker as well now.

The best I could figure on the squib either it got a partial powder drop or no drop at all just the primer.

holtdoublej
August 22nd, 2016, 02:52 PM
Is it worth the extra money for the carbide cutter on the Lyman?

Shooter940
August 22nd, 2016, 03:10 PM

I've not tried one so can't say for sure.
I've read people suggest that's the best way to go, but I have had mine for about 5 years now and it's still going strong
I thought when mine became dull I would buy one then.

mapper
August 22nd, 2016, 04:12 PM
Anyone used one of these?
http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html
Indexes off the shoulder.
Can't argue about price.

Shooter940
August 22nd, 2016, 04:37 PM
This is the guy in Ocala Florida I was talking about....His too indexes off the shoulder but is a bit higher priced now I see....
http://www.ctstrimmer.com/6-case-trimmers

FLT
August 22nd, 2016, 06:25 PM

Not sure, I've got two of the trimmers with regular cutters that I've used to trim thousands of rounds over the last 40 years and they are still working satisfactorily.

mapper
August 22nd, 2016, 06:33 PM
Jim at CTS is good people, and makes a solid product.
I haven't used the drill mounted trimmer,
Mine is another version he used to sell, the version 2.0
Very well thought out design.

Johnny
August 24th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I have been using a Redding for years,it came with the carbide cutter,prior to that I used a lyman that I bought in 1966,my son is still using it.

Jafar
August 25th, 2016, 07:57 AM
I've been threatening to pull the trigger on this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Case-Trim-Prep-System/dp/B00HS7JEB4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472088337&sr=8-3&keywords=case+trimmer+reloading

holtdoublej
August 25th, 2016, 03:11 PM
That's one of the ones I was very seriously looking at. I just ordered Lyman universal to start out with.

Jafar
August 25th, 2016, 03:57 PM
That's one of the ones I was very seriously looking at. I just ordered Lyman universal to start out with.

Have you seen our War Games powder thrower?

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Quick question, as this is in fact my first rodeo. When tumble cleaning, should I set a timer, or just let it go until they come out shiny? Is there any way to really fuck it up? I got an old midway tumbler and some once fired brass, figured it's better to clean them sooner than later.

mapper
August 25th, 2016, 05:23 PM
The real question to ask is how do I get all the media out of the 223 cases?
I don't have one of those Ron Popeil showtime "just set it and forget it " tumblers,
I just run mine till it looks clean, or untill either I remember it or get tired of hearing it run.

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 05:28 PM
The real question to ask is how do I get all the media out of the 223 cases?
I don't have one of those Ron Popeil showtime "just set it and forget it " tumblers,
I just run mine till it looks clean, or untill either I remember it or get tired of hearing it run.
Seems like they could make a basket sieve to replace the lid. Just dump your brass in the bucket and turn it on, shake all the media out of the cases and through the sieve back into the tumbler. This may already exist, btw. If not, Someone missed a pretty good chance.

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 05:30 PM
This could easily do the job if it attached to the tumbler.http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTc4WDE1MDA=/z/WdIAAOSwyvBV9iVU/$_35.JPG

mapper
August 25th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I think i have one of those have one if you want to try it.
I used it for a year before this
http://www.gunstop.com/products/case-cleaning/cm-500-media-separator

Cattle/Horses
August 25th, 2016, 05:37 PM
I just pour it out then tap the brass on the formica counter top.

If a little is left, it'll burn, don't sweat it.

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Considering the fact that I'm using one of thesehttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/RJgAAOxycERRksmY/$(KGrHqJ,!roFE2OVGU6kBRksmYImRg~~60_35.JPGI'd say that's an upgrade by far.

mapper
August 25th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Plastic collander,milk jug with holes in it, metal paint can with holes, sift pan, rotary separator, or shaking the media out like a salt shaker, flower pot with holes in it,all works.

12bhunting
August 25th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I don't clean my brass. I shape it, cut it, ream the primer pocket and fill that bitch up..... I'm more function than fashion I reckon....

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 06:57 PM
I figure the extra carbon and oxidation isn't gonna help any.

FLT
August 25th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I don't clean my brass. I shape it, cut it, ream the primer pocket and fill that bitch up..... I'm more function than fashion I reckon....

I did it that way for many years , and for a bolt action rifle that's all it needs. These days I make pretty reloads . Most folks think they're factory. They don't shoot any better but they are nice and shiny .

Johnny
August 25th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I use a ultra sonic from Lyman,cleans inside out and the primer pockets,spread them out after rinse,use a heat gun for about 5 minutes to dry them,some times I will drop them in a tumber with corncob mediaif I want that new look.

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Is this media supposed to smell like pickles?

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Didn't really notice it before it ran, but when I opened it after it was pretty strong.

Cattle/Horses
August 25th, 2016, 08:55 PM
What media are you using E$? Corn cob, Walnut, Roddenberry's, etc?

e.money83
August 25th, 2016, 09:06 PM
No idea, it was in the tumbler when it came to me. Dark little granules, kinda dusty. Reddish brownish color. Like I said, smells like pickles.

Greg Kulbick
August 26th, 2016, 12:21 AM
No idea, it was in the tumbler when it came to me. Dark little granules, kinda dusty. Reddish brownish color. Like I said, smells like pickles.
Ahh, sounds like dingleberries.

0utlaw
August 26th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Way back in the olden days I remember my uncle putting a shot of vinegar in his tumbler, I'm not sure why or what it did but I remember him doing it.

Dale Gribble
August 26th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Way back in the olden days I remember my uncle putting a shot of vinegar in his tumbler, I'm not sure why or what it did but I remember him doing it.

Acid helps clean a bit.. Lots of folks who tumble with wet S.S. pins use lemishine, which is citric acid.

e.money83
August 26th, 2016, 01:08 PM
That would make sense, chemistry and all considered.

12bhunting
August 26th, 2016, 05:50 PM
My wife puts lemon peels in Vinegar for cleaning. It seems to work. And if I have anything at all wrong with me she tries to feed me cider vinegar. Don't make a damn if it's a bee sting or I stub my toe, she will be along shortly with a cider jug and a tablespoon..... Not bad if I just let her pour it in my vodka......

e.money83
August 26th, 2016, 05:59 PM
...and I'm the weirdo that likes the taste of vinegar... Can't help it, I like really bitter and acidic flavors. Dark ass strong coffee, bitter strong beers, vinegar based foods and all this.

Jafar
August 26th, 2016, 10:42 PM

Was it a water tumbler? Vinegar acts as de-caking agent and reduces water spots, this is why it is recommended in being added to the water in a pressure canner. Any product pressure cooked without vinegar in the water comes out with a white grit on it.

I use a Thumbler tumbler with stainless rod media and a splash of dawn dish detergent and dish washer crystals for water streaks. My brass comes out better than new.

0utlaw
August 27th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure I was really young and he had quit reloading by the time I got old enough to follow what was going on. Just remember the vinegar for some reason, maybe because it seemed so out of place to my kid mind.

holtdoublej
September 25th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Well when using the Lyman trimmer for .300BLK, the .30 caliber pilot was a bit tight inside the throat and the case was getting unbelievably hot. I stuck the pilot in a drill and sent it through some 400&600 grit sandpaper to reduce it slightly. Now works better. My dad ordered one of those CTS trimmers to try it out. It looks like it should speed up the process of converting .223 to .300BLK. I'll give an updated report after trying the CTS

mapper
September 25th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Are you using one of the mini chop saws a
And a jig to cut the shoulder off the brass?
Then sizing it in a die, then final trim to length?

A trimmer that indexes from the shoulder of the case should make it go quicker than one supported by a pilot.
And a little less brass handling.

This is only based from me helping marcus convert some once for the Rumbler benefit.
And knowing diffrences between trimmers.

But sure I could see the issue with multiple pcs of brass sized 0.002 less than the size of the pilot getting hot.

holtdoublej
September 25th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Ya that's exactly how we have been doing it. Using once fired lake city brass and RCBS small base dies. The pilot was also scoring the inside of the brass. It was making me think that it may create inconsistent neck tension by scoring the brass like that.

mapper
September 25th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Try it and see, compare how you have been doing it,
To a resized case
To done with the new trimmer.

The rifle will tell you.

But the diffrent trimmer should eliminate that issue, as well as speed up bras prep.

holtdoublej
October 2nd, 2016, 10:29 PM
The CTS trimmer is working great. Once you have a case trimmed to the exact length you want, it is very quick and easy to set the CTS to that length. Case prep is much faster and the CTS trims the cases a lot cleaner than the Lyman did.