PDA

View Full Version : Thanks! Women and Children's Class

BB Sig
June 5th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Bob,

I wanted to say thank you for sharing your time and expertise during the class this past Saturday. My wife has never had formal training and didn't know what to expect. She was nervous and a little apprehensive. I followed her to the event to help ease the anxiety and when she met you, she instantly felt at ease. You were dressed professionally and that helped a lot. She said the classes were well presented and you didn't pull any punches. To say she learned a lot would be an understatement.

When she came home, she was enthusiastic and asked when we were building a berm so we could practice safely. This morning she asked if we could get her a gun. While I don't think she is ready to carry on her person, she will most likely get her permit. I just wanted you to know that you made a difference in at least one of your students and I am sure a lot more than just her.

AUfish11
June 5th, 2016, 08:18 PM
I agree, thank you Bob for putting on the class. My wife has had her carry permit for sometime but would never carry. After your class she asked to go to the range to practice and wants to carry when she takes trips with the kids to visit the grandparents. That's a huge step in the right direction and will give me some piece of mind when she travels alone. Already planning a date night so we can get out to the range.

Billythekid
June 5th, 2016, 10:14 PM
She was nervous and a little apprehensive.

My wife was the same way. I have tried to "teach" her on many occasions. This worked out much better than I expected. Kind of like when my kids are better behaved and on their best behavior when visiting someone else than at home.

Nosigforyou
June 7th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Agreed. Thanks Bob for this class (and your others). My wife enjoyed the class and appreciated your insights.

Tack Driver
June 7th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Any single ladies show up? Anybody hand out any of my cards?

Sent from Crawdaddy's momma's house via Tapatwat

JMW4570
June 7th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Any single ladies show up? Anybody hand out any of my cards?

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2012/10/05/10/b4/transgender.jpg

Tack Driver
June 7th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Note to self: don't give JMW any more of my cards.

AB
June 8th, 2016, 08:01 AM
She was nervous and a little apprehensive.

My wife was the same way. I have tried to "teach" her on many occasions. This worked out much better than I expected. Kind of like when my kids are better behaved and on their best behavior when visiting someone else than at home.

As a long time instructor on a variety of topics, I have discovered it is nearly impossible for women to learn from a significant other, and only slightly less so a family friend. Being in a formal learning environment taught by an expert stranger seems to be the best recipe for success. I can't explain why that is, but I've seen it time and time again, even with my own wife.

0utlaw
June 8th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Conversely I have taught dozens of women basic firearms courses but my wife finds it extremely difficult to take instruction from me.

Billythekid
June 8th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Conversely I have taught dozens of women basic firearms courses but my wife finds it extremely difficult to take instruction from me.

This is the issue we all face, and not just about firearms training.

0utlaw
June 8th, 2016, 09:03 AM
True, my wife is very smart and she likes to debate things to try and come up with the best answer. She is not receptive to the fact that somethings are not open to debate.

FLT
June 8th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Most guys fail to understand women. Who takes care of who in your relationship ? LOL , and you thought you were the smart one. ( The you includes everyone )

Cattle/Horses
June 8th, 2016, 09:12 AM

And how well do you take instruction from SHTW, really?

0utlaw
June 8th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Well that's the difference, if it's something she knows a lot about I take instruction very well.
I was told once "You're as dumb as a box of rocks... but you're teachable, I can work with that"

AB
June 8th, 2016, 10:20 AM
A lot of women consent to be "taught" firearms as a way to simply spend time with their boyfriends/husbands. When there's more interest in the instructor than the topic it gets in the way.

Jafar
June 8th, 2016, 10:22 AM
A lot of women consent to be "taught" firearms as a way to simply spend time with their boyfriends/husbands. When there's more interest in the instructor than the topic it gets in the way.

That's when you look them in the eye, all serious and say "this one's for fighting, this one's for fun."

12bhunting
June 8th, 2016, 10:41 AM
My wife realizes the world is fucked. When they finally catch on shit is going to hit the fan sooner or later, they are easy to train....

AB
June 8th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I didn't spend much time shooting with my wife. She's completely not into it and it scared her a lot. To her credit, she was punching a 1-2 inch group at 6 yards while she was white-knuckled on the pistol and scared to death.

I didn't offer again because at the time I did not believe she would actually drop the hammer on someone even if she had the technical skill to do so. Now the munchkin is in the picture, I have no doubt she would drop someone to protect the kiddo even if she couldn't have done so before. Changes things to have a spawn running around!

0utlaw
June 8th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I have the opposite worry, that mine would mag dump them in the back as they were running down the road :gunfire:

FLT
June 8th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I have a friend with a track hoe -----------.

Jafar
June 8th, 2016, 12:34 PM
The quote no one wants to hear when referring to not pushing their spouse to train;

"We do not rise to our level of expectation, we fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

AB
June 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM
The quote no one wants to hear when referring to not pushing their spouse to train;

"We do not rise to our level of expectation, we fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

I do hate that she's not into it. I demanded she demonstrate the ability to shoot and the manual of arms for the household weapons, but you can't negotiate or insist on real, organic interest in the topic. She passed my class as well as my personal qualification course. That was the standard I set and she passed. I recognize I will be shouldering the burden of the defense of the castle, but I actually think that was part of why she married me to begin with. At least I have a man-cub now to pass that responsibility on to when the time comes I am no longer able.

Airgator0470
August 7th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I thought the class went well... the younger ladies did exceptionally well. All were very safe and a pleasure to work with...

jonastio
August 14th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks again for putting this on. It's gotten the wife a LOT more comfortable with my firearms.

Bitter American
August 14th, 2016, 10:23 PM
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2012/10/05/10/b4/transgender.jpg

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/67325398.jpg