PDA

View Full Version : Talon Range, Soft Opening This Weekend !!!

Rumbler
June 19th, 2013, 06:34 AM
The Talon Range is about to open. We have a requirement that you attend a safety and rules briefing lasting about an hour. We will be scheduling these over the next few weeks. One of these is REQUIRED for participation at the range. We will do a video based version as well.

However, this will allow you to learn a lot about the facility and ask questions.

This weekends schedule is:

Friday June 21st, 6 p.m. till 7 p.m.
Friday June 21st, 7:30 p.m. till 8:30 p.m.
Saturday June 22nd, 9:30 a.m. till 10:30 a.m.
Saturday June 22nd, 11:00 a.m. till 12:00 p.m.
Saturday June 22nd, 2:30 p.m. till 3:30 p.m.
Sunday June 23rd, 9:30 a.m. till 10:30 a.m.
Sunday June 23rd, 11:00 a.m. till 12:00 p.m.
Sunday June 23rd, 2:30 p.m. till 3:30 p.m.
Sunday June 23rd, 4:30 p.m. till 5:30 p.m.

We made some changes to the agreement we sent out a couple of weeks ago. We will review the document, the rules and range etiquette. Our site has the schedule for this weekend listed and we will post the dates and times there moving forward.

We will be open Saturday from 9 a.m. till Dark and Sunday the same hours. We will announce next weeks open days and times early in the week. Bear with us as we try to get up and running.

Archery and Shotgun will be coming very soon. Late July on Archery and as soon as we can get Skeet equipment installed on Shotgun. We will at least have some Skeet open by July.

Memberships will start to count July 1st unless notified otherwise.

Please bear with us as we figure out how to run this thing. A LOT of work got us to this point and we want to ease into it so we can avoid upsetting anyone.

The Pro-Shop is stocked with Hearing Protection, Targets, Eye Protection, some accessories and such. Stop by when you are out and check it out.

t1ght_gr0up
June 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
where is it

Highlander
June 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I couldn’t be more excited!

It all started at the end of a Talon low light tactics class that I attended back in December of 2011 at Pat Thomas. J.D. and Charlie mentioned that they were looking for land and had the intention of building their own range facility.

After about a year and a half of concept planning, revision after revision, land negotiations, financial planning, construction design, permitting, contractor negotiations, and headaches, it grew from vision to reality!

I am very proud to have been a part of this and made some great friends in the process. The entire compliment of folks that are a part of Talon Range, Talon Training, and Talon Holsters are 100% top notch people.

Highlander
June 19th, 2013, 10:16 AM
where is it

I-10 Midway exit, Gadsden10/90 Comerical park, stay to the right, follow Commerce Boulevard around until you see the entrance on the right.

Triad
June 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Shane - you have done an amazing job with the design and planning of Talon. (I know - they're a client and these things are a collaborative effort), but man you did a super super job! It must have been a blast working with Charlie and JD and the others.

Congratulations - it must be extremely gratifying to see a project like this come to fruition. Takes a lot of patience and dedication, for sure.

I hope you got a lifetime membership out of it, LOL.

BTW - I call it TALON Shooter's World, but I'm thinking it could be: White Flags Over Talon

This is going to bring a lot of revenue to Midway and Gadsden County in time.

I sure appreciate all your hard work and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.

Being an early Gold Member has it's privileges, and I'm proud to have joined way back at the very start of it.

The whole thing looks like an Inca or Mayan City, the berms are so high and covered in green grass.

Just awesome, and I'll tell you, those high berms really cut down the noise! Excellent design!

Sniper3243
June 23rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Went to the safety briefing today and purchased my membership

If you have not been there I would check it out!

BlueBronco
June 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM
What will the operational hours be?

Highlander
June 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM

Range is open this weekend 9 till dark. Officially open 7 days a week starting July 1.

substratum
June 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Is there going to be another set of safety & rules briefing dates? We were unable to make any of the times/dates this past weekend.

My family is really looking forward to getting out there!

Highlander
June 24th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Is there going to be another set of safety & rules briefing dates? We were unable to make any of the times/dates this past weekend.

My family is really looking forward to getting out there!

Saturday June 29th, 9:30 a.m. till 10:30 a.m.

Saturday June 29th, 11:00 a.m. till 12:00 p.m.

Saturday June 29th, 2:30 p.m. till 3:30 p.m.

Highlander
June 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Me and my 10 year old on the new range Saturday.

BlueBronco
June 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Range is open this weekend 9 till dark. Officially open 7 days a week starting July 1.

I knew about the weekend thing. I was looking for the week day schedule. Thanks.

Highlander
June 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM

I knew about the weekend thing. I was looking for the week day schedule. Thanks.

Should be about the same. They have talked about possibly opening up earlier during the summer if there was enough demand and availability of someone to man the post. They also talked about staying opened past dark since they will be installing stadium lighting and a light under each cover.

Highlander
June 24th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Most recent aerial photo of Talon Range.

BR549
June 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Is there a schedule for evening safety briefings this week?

Rumbler
June 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM
The briefings this weekend will be on exactly the same days and same schedule as the first set were.

After that we will be making a video version for members and another for guests to view whenever they come out to the range for the first time.

But I'd do the in person one if humanly possible. The video version will include a written test that requires a score of 100% to pass.

We take members and guests safety as seriously as we take the quality of the instruction we provide. Maybe more so, but we will gladly leave that judgement to you to make. :)

Oh. And starting July1, we will be open from 9:00AM-9:00PM seven days a week. This is subject to change based on demand, and the installation of appropriate lighting.

Tack Driver
June 25th, 2013, 08:44 AM
...................., and the installation of appropriate lighting.

I'll bring my own, thanks. ;D

Rumbler
June 25th, 2013, 09:35 PM
...................., and the installation of appropriate lighting.

I'll bring my own, thanks. ;D

yeah, well, we know that lighting is not all cracked up to be. I *usually* prefer no artificial lights at all.

But we have some member folks that need all the light they can get . . . . . And me too so I don't get shot by them. :-[

substratum
July 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
My family attended the Saturday afternoon briefing, and Charlie covered a lot of ground. JD sat in on it, too. We are really looking forward to going out there on a regular basis! The big picture plan that Charlie laid out demonstrates the vision these folks have for this project, and I'm excited about the opportunities it will bring. I predict that Talon Range will become a well-known venue for shooting sports nationally, within a relatively short period of time.

Do we have a date for the "Grand Opening" event?

0utlaw
July 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM
Have y'all ever considered opening an indoor range maybe like on Capital circle somewhere, I mean really how long would a little thing like that take 8)

//end sarcasm//

Tack Driver
July 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM
Have y'all ever considered opening an indoor range maybe like on Capital circle somewhere, I mean really how long would a little thing like that take 8)

//end sarcasm//

LOL. Yeah, piece of cake. People would by charter memberships for that too.

0utlaw
July 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hey I bet they could throw sticks while they waited for it to be finished

BR549
July 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM

//end sarcasm//
LMFAO!

jonastio
July 3rd, 2013, 01:30 AM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/no-more-arms.png

Comic from http://explosm.net

Rumbler
July 8th, 2013, 10:19 PM
//[/size]end sarcasm[/size]//

Na. Charlie & JD know better. But we are putting those really powerful fans like PTLA has, in each of the 'shelters'. Them suckers really move some air !! :) :)

And yeah, I understand Raz has asked for a couple of them mounted on portable pedestals for the big competition bays.

BR549
July 9th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Still havent made it to a safety briefing, too much rain and company in town and work travel...are any more scheduled?

Rumbler
July 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Not that I am aware of. It has all moved to video now.

http://www.talontraininggroup.com/Talon-Range

down near the bottom of the page. You can come in and watch the orientation AND range briefing, do the written (OPEN BOOK) test, or you can do it all on your own computer and just bring in the appropriate completed paperwork. Whichever you prefer. ;D

jlmcgrot
July 10th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Still havent made it to a safety briefing, too much rain and company in town and work travel...are any more scheduled?

Yeah, joining the range almost seems like joining the gym...good intentions and all, but...

BR549
July 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Not that I am aware of. It has all moved to video now.

http://www.talontraininggroup.com/Talon-Range

down near the bottom of the page. You can come in and watch the orientation AND range briefing, do the written (OPEN BOOK) test, or you can do it all on your own computer and just bring in the appropriate completed paperwork. Whichever you prefer. ;D
10-4. I just watched all 3 little videos. Very simple. Thanks!

Rumbler
July 11th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Glad it worked well for you. Now, common out and shoot! We have dry places to shoot from even if its raining really hard (please, don't ask me how I know that ;) ).

Currently (subject to change based on customer demand) the hours are:

M-F 11:00AM-9:00PM.
S&S 8:00AM-9:00PM.

And in the last couple of days we have put down another 8-10 dump truck loads of asphalt millings so folks can actually drive in and out of the place now, even when it is raining really hard. :)