PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing... if anything... to prepare

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 06:46 PM
On some gun boards there is already talk of mass buying and stocking up on parts and reloading components. Over the past six months I've been busy at the bench loading brass that I have on hand, mostly pistol as I'm stacked fairly well in .223 and .308.

Pistol powders are now readily available, as are primers and bullets, so I'm slowly gathering supplies but not in extreme amounts on each order. Today for example I ordered 5K small pistol primers and 5K large pistol primers to bring me up to speed to load for the pistol powder I have on hand, which is about 24-25 pounds.

I ordered an 8 pound jug of TAC and an 8 pound jug of IMR 4895... this will also bring me in line with my primer supply for .308 loads and precision .223 loads. I've got about 35 pounds of rifle powder which should keep me in good for a while considering the actual ammo I have on hand.

At the end of the month I will start getting the bullets to complement the powder/primer supply I have. I decided to make bullets the last component as they will be easier to source or actually make by casting if push comes to shove.

AR15's and other firearms, I've got a couple lowers/uppers, several BCG's, and at least 5 LPK's... so there will be no rifle parts buying this time around. Handguns... I'd like a couple more Glock pistols, maybe by mid Summer I can swing it... not going the credit card route so many have... I'm paying as I go.

So... anyone doing the same buying a little here, a little there, or has anyone gone full retard and maxed out a CC?

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 07:10 PM
:escape:

Maybe......

Cattle/Horses
April 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM
You got all this at the house down there, or at the farm up here? ;)

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 07:58 PM
In all seriousness, our biggest prep was to be debt free. we've been able to do what we've done because we're not paying payments on boats, cars, Mcmansions, the credit card from last Christmas, etc. We have 1 credit card, it has a huge limit, we never let it carry a balance but if the shit hits the fan I'll melt that sucker down.

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 08:04 PM
You got all this at the house down there, or at the farm up here? ;)

I live down here...

ETA... my neighbors and I keep a VERY CLOSE EYE on who/what comes down our drive... we live in a location where you can't approach w/o being seen and there are other specifics that help keep all of us relatively safe (few places are perfect)... that along with the dogs, alarms, but best of all... a mother-in-law who snoops with the best of them 24 hours a day... lol.

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 08:07 PM
In all seriousness, our biggest prep was to be debt free. we've been able to do what we've done because we're not paying payments on boats, cars, Mcmansions, the credit card from last Christmas, etc. We have 1 credit card, it has a huge limit, we never let it carry a balance but if the shit hits the fan I'll melt that sucker down.

That's kind of my point... I'm picking up stuff here and there because when it does start, if it does, you won't be able to get anything w/o paying insane prices. For those who don't reload, I'd recommend buying 2 or 3 boxes of ammo each pay day... little at a time adds up and helps control panic buying.

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Yep, in a real collapse ammo will be currency, food will be currency, it will only have worth if someone NEEDS it, a stack of $100 bills will be worth roughly the same as a roll of toilet paper, where a loaded AR mag may feed your family for a week or get you that antibiotic you need or kill the coyete thats killing your chickens

rr53
April 15th, 2016, 08:31 PM
A Berkey water filter here, a solar panel there. Pay as I go for me too.

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Yep, in a real collapse ammo will be currency, food will be currency, it will only have worth if someone NEEDS it, a stack of $100 bills will be worth roughly the same as a roll of toilet paper, where a loaded AR mag may feed your family for a week or get you that antibiotic you need or kill the coyete thats killing your chickens

I'm not much for the melt down situation... but after watching Clinton last night, if she gets the nomination, which I'm sure she will, shit will hit the fan in the guns/ammo market... she will go after guns with a vengeance like we have not seen...

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I'm not much for the melt down situation... but after watching Clinton last night, if she gets the nomination, which I'm sure she will, shit will hit the fan in the guns/ammo market... she will go after guns with a vengeance like we have not seen...
I fear your scenario will lead to mine

polebarn
April 15th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I'm not much for the melt down situation... but after watching Clinton last night, if she gets the nomination, which I'm sure she will, shit will hit the fan in the guns/ammo market... she will go after guns with a vengeance like we have not seen... If she wins and the R's lose the Congress, you might as well prepare for confiscation ala Australia IF they cannot run the manufacturers out of business with liability legislation. In a best case scenario,we are back to a 1994 ban on AR'S and more than 10 round mags but this time it will be permanent and might not include grandfathering existing ownership.

FLT
April 15th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Mother in laws are almost as good as retired LEOs . I live in a small subdivision 7 houses total. There are 3 retired LEOs and me . It's a single lane paved street that deadends in to river bottom. We don't miss much. It's hard for a stranger to get out of here with out being ask, can I help you with something?

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 08:42 PM
like we say here "One way in, no way out."

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 08:53 PM
If she wins and the R's lose the Congress, you might as well prepare for confiscation ala Australia IF they cannot run the manufacturers out of business with liability legislation. In a best case scenario,we are back to a 1994 ban on AR'S and more than 10 round mags but this time it will be permanent and might not include grandfathering existing ownership.

I don't believe we will ever see confiscation... most likely ownership phase out, like CA does. I say if gun makers are liable for gun crimes in general, car makers are liable for DUI's... fuck it, no guns and public transit for the win...

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 08:57 PM
I don't believe we will ever see confiscation... most likely ownership phase out, like CA does. I say if gun makers are liable for gun crimes in general, car makers are liable for DUI's... fuck it, no guns and public transit for the win...

10 Years ago I'd have agreed with you but 10 years ago Dems didn't say the C word if they wanted to get elected, now they're running on it. Media bias has pushed public opinion much further left than it has ever been and the general pussification of the American male leaves me with serious concerns over confiscation.

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM
10 Years ago I'd have agreed with you but 10 years ago Dems didn't say the C word if they wanted to get elected, now they're running on it. Media bias has pushed public opinion much further left than it has ever been and the general pussification of the American male leaves me with serious concerns over confiscation.

I've not heard anyone come close to mentioning confiscation... has anyone?

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah...
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20151016/hillary-clinton-supports-australia-style-gun-confiscation

polebarn
April 15th, 2016, 09:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JctBYrIaKvY

0utlaw
April 15th, 2016, 09:16 PM
From Bearing Arms

Even more bizarre than Clinton’s general anti-gun views are the specific anti-gun talking points she’s chosen to bet her Presidential dreams upon.They are:

“universal” background checks
closing the “gun show loophole”
stopping “online sales”
banning “assault weapons”
her admission that Australian style gun confiscation of semi-automatic, pump-action, lever-action and other firearms is “worth looking into”
gutting the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) so that gun control supporters can file frivolous lawsuits to bankrupt the firearms industry and gun dealers

Cattle/Horses
April 15th, 2016, 09:26 PM
All I have left is two OLD double barrels, a Remington 22 and a Lama 38. I'll gladly turn them in when asked if for no other reason, to be in compliance and off the BAD list.

Dale Gribble
April 15th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Preps today are the same as yesterday, none of this shit is getting any cheaper tomorrow.

Airgator0470
April 15th, 2016, 10:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JctBYrIaKvY

The video is flawed... there is a skip so her statement is out of context... at 1:42 or so it skips... but it's clear she would support a buy back...

SGB
April 16th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I'm a bargain shopper, have been for years. Got Plenty of AR's as well as mags & spare parts for them. Got plenty of spare parts & mags for the 1911's so I've been working on spare parts and accessories for my 9mm P226's and just traded a S&W 6906 for a Sig P229 9mm. Picked up 4 OEM P228 mags for $16 each from CDNN this week if anyone's looking. Just got my Form 1 for the 9mm AR and waiting on my Form 4 for the can going on it ............. so I've been bargain shopping 147gr 9mm.

Just keep buying a little bit every month .................................... it adds up.

mapper
April 16th, 2016, 01:16 PM
So when is the next group buy from powder valley?

Dale Gribble
April 16th, 2016, 02:08 PM
So when is the next group buy from powder valley?

I can put another together, but its not Powder Valley.

mapper
April 16th, 2016, 02:11 PM
but I like powder valley..

0utlaw
April 16th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Our little infighting will carry on for a bit, then a nuke or a couple will go off from the Muslims, ultimately the country will solidify behind the notion that Islam is at war with the west, and only the gun toting crazy right wingers will have the answer. When sons and daughters lay dead in the rubble, only then will gay rights fade into the background and nationalism will take hold and carry the day.
Luckily none of my grandkids are queer, so they'll be barred from enlistment.

Danman
April 16th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

Countryboy27012
April 16th, 2016, 05:32 PM
^^^^^ What he said^^^^^

I buy what i can, when i can. If something is on sale i go ahead and grab it. Like Dale daid, it ain't gonna be any cheaper tomorrow.

AB
April 16th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I will do nothing different. I shoot enough that I generally spend my budgetary limit as it is and I can't afford much more!

Evil_McNasty
April 20th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I think Hillary's commentary to her followers won't go much further than that. She learned from Obama's big push after Newtown, that the American public still votes for gun ownership in general. If it didn't happen after that, when even the hardest core NRA'ers were thinking "damn maybe universal background checks are too bad....", then it will be hard to get it passed. Because shortly after that everyone woke back up and it was business as usual. Right off the top of my head, I can only think of Colorado as the only state that made changes directly from the events of Newtown. Any others?

The San Bernadino shootings especially caused a direct argument against the gun ban group.

Let's hope, not only for the victims of course, that we don't have another mass shooting. That's when they get power. What is more likely than any type of actual firearm confiscation, is there being some weasley back ended type of control, like extreme taxation on ammunition. Aaaaaannnd we are right back to where Bob started. Get your reloading stuff ready now.

Dale Gribble
April 20th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Right off the top of my head, I can only think of Colorado as the only state that made changes directly from the events of Newtown. Any others?

New York and Connecticut come to mind as well.

Evil_McNasty
April 20th, 2016, 01:56 PM
New York and Connecticut come to mind as well.

Were those just mag restrictions? CO went to the 15rnd mag limits I believe. But even then, if you owned then prior to the deadline date (or they were manufactured prior to then), you are ok.

Dale Gribble
April 20th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Were those just mag restrictions? CO went to the 15rnd mag limits I believe. But even then, if you owned then prior to the deadline date (or they were manufactured prior to then), you are ok.

NY Safe act, far reaching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act