PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Locking Ring Set Screws

AUfish11
April 1st, 2016, 08:37 AM
I couldn't get a set screw to tighten down on my RCBS die and ended up stripping out the set screw. I contacted customer service and they sent me several set screws and several brass buffers. RCBS customer service is hard to beat. Adding the buffer between the set screw and the die thread works but wondering if there is a better solution.

Anyone else have this issue? After doing some reading on other forums some guys are using split shot as a buffer or changing to the Hornady locking rings.

Jas8340
April 1st, 2016, 08:50 AM
+1 on the Hornady locking rings. I've just about migrated all of my RCBS dies over to the Hornady rings.

AUfish11
April 1st, 2016, 09:18 PM
I'm going to keep the factory locking rings a little longer. If I keep having issues I'll try the Hornady locking rings. Right now everything is set and working so no reason to change them.

Cattle/Horses
April 1st, 2016, 09:37 PM
What problems are y'all encountering with RCBS dies? Some of my dies I've been using for 30 years. I never had problems but they all have the old style collar like this. I hear the newer collars are a PITA.

Edit, Nevermind, didn't read your second paragraph.

FLT
April 1st, 2016, 10:03 PM
Lyman used a piece of shot under the screw for years . Maybe they still do I haven't bought a new set of Lyman in years.