PDA

View Full Version : GSSF match at Talon Range Feb. 27th and 28th

razzman1
February 26th, 2016, 06:11 AM
In case there are any local shooters who wood like to attend, Talon is once again hosting a national GSSF match this weekend. GSSF is predicting north of 700 shooters this year, so it should be a great match. Also, the weather is looking perfect.

If you have never shot any form of competition, GSSF is great way to get started. No movement, no reloading on the clock, and stock guns are the norm. Go to the GSSF website and check it out, or just show up and register on the spot.

Also, for Talon Range members, note that a number of the commercial bays will be occupied this weekend due to the match.

See you on the range!

John Rasmussen

AB
February 26th, 2016, 09:46 AM
+1 on anyone looking to participate in a match should check it out. If you're a halfway decent shooter the chance of walking away with a brand-new Glock is pretty high. If you're not a halfway decent shooter, participating in competitive events with folks that are better than you is a great way to up your skillset. I've never met a shooter that wasn't willing to share their knowledge on the range.

AB
February 27th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I am out here shooting a practice session. The format of the match is you shoot each of three stages and you are done. You could be out in two hours. It is totally worth it to come out and spend two hours and get your name on a list. Everyone who has a spare half-day should do it. you can sign up for the match at any point up until the last hour on Sunday. Come out anytime!

SB
February 27th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I will probably come over and shoot it tomorrow. What time do they open?

Danman
February 27th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I believe it's 8AM to dark.

NJC
February 27th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Cost for this ?

SB
February 27th, 2016, 06:27 PM
25 per gun. Plus the cost of membership if you are not a member of GSSF.

NJC
February 27th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Cool.

Lonesurvivor23
February 27th, 2016, 08:50 PM
i shot it today and it was fun. The Glock armorer fixed my 19 at no cost including parts, which was cool. I got a great new glock hat for $10! I appreciate the time AB spent talking to me later at the comp ranges. Dude is an encyclopedia of gun knowledge!!

NJC
February 27th, 2016, 09:02 PM
So are they using the competition ranges in the back for this or are they using the ranges up front ?

Lonesurvivor23
February 27th, 2016, 09:13 PM
ranges up front, competition bays are open to members

NJC
February 27th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Thanks. The OP was not clear.

SB
February 28th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Firmly in the running for a door prize.
Stunk it up.

AB
February 28th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I was out there shooting a practice session. Wish I had known you were on the property!

SB
February 28th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I was gonna go down there. Talked myself out of it.
Teach me to listen to me.

Danman
February 28th, 2016, 07:51 PM
I was out there shooting a practice session. Wish I had known you were on the property!

I saw you pull up, and then leave abruptly (was at bay 12 RO'ing).

SB - good to see you.

Talon broke records with the attendance at this match.

NJC
February 28th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Same 3 COFs every time ?
5 to Glock
Glock M
Plates ?

This weekend was just not possible. May come out for the next one.

SB
February 28th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Yep same 3. You get to choose your order.

AB
February 28th, 2016, 10:11 PM
I stopped to watch one of the shooters have a go on the plate rack. Fit guy, underarmor shirt, tactical pants. Had a serious pre-stage routine going so I figured I was about to see a great run. Not so much! After the run, I drove off. I had been on the competition bays since 9:30 and was headed home.

NJC
February 28th, 2016, 10:23 PM
All hat and no horse.

I may practice those drills and give it a whirl next time.
A shooter I respect tells me competition builds character or some shit.

AB
February 29th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Where would we find the scores posted?

SB
February 29th, 2016, 09:14 AM
They will post them on the GSSF website in a couple of days. You have to do a little looking, but all results from forever are there.

Danman
February 29th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Oh, I wonder where you can find them already on them internets...

OH WAIT:

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2016/2016tfl.pdf

mattb
March 2nd, 2016, 06:54 PM
I stopped to watch one of the shooters have a go on the plate rack. Fit guy, underarmor shirt, tactical pants. Had a serious pre-stage routine going so I figured I was about to see a great run. Not so much! After the run, I drove off. I had been on the competition bays since 9:30 and was headed home.

A couple years back at the match in Orlando I watched a guy shooting an unlimited gun on the plate rack; his total time for four runs was somewhere around 11 seconds. Sounded like full auto.

AB
March 2nd, 2016, 07:27 PM
The record I'm aware of on a plate rack is 1.99 seconds from the seven yard line. With a draw.

substratum
March 2nd, 2016, 08:46 PM
I noticed that a bunch of the names on the list, particularly those near the top, are folks who have their pics featured in the Glock annual models magazine. Obviously, a big deal event for people to travel from across the country.

JMW4570
March 2nd, 2016, 10:43 PM
The record I'm aware of on a plate rack is 1.99 seconds from the seven yard line. With a draw.

Is that your weak hand time?

NJC
March 3rd, 2016, 05:42 AM
It's fast. Probably someone else ;-)

JMW4570
March 3rd, 2016, 07:12 AM
True. At 1.9 seconds I'd be saying... Was that the timer I heard?

Jafar
March 3rd, 2016, 08:04 AM
What's the difference between this competition and and the other organization's events? Are they worth checking out?

Dale Gribble
March 3rd, 2016, 08:14 AM
GSSF is the one of the simpler competitions. No draws, no movement, no reloads on the clock. That doesn't mean it isn't challenging, but it is far simpler to follow than a USPSA stage.

Jafar
March 3rd, 2016, 08:39 AM
GSSF is the one of the simpler competitions. No draws, no movement, no reloads on the clock. That doesn't mean it isn't challenging, but it is far simpler to follow than a USPSA stage.

Thanks, Dale.

substratum
March 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
GSSF is out for me because I don't own a Glock. I downloaded the GSSF rules, and saw that they just added a class for the Glock 42, which means that even my daughter could compete with her tiny little .380. I must admit that I am becoming increasingly interested in Glock as I've studied their 2016 product line up. My EDC is a Kel Tec P11, and my primary home defense handgun is a SIG 2022 (both are 9mm), so there'd be a class to compete in for either of those pistols in USPSA.

Jafar, you can Youtube either event and get a pretty good perspective of how they go down in different venues. At one point, there was even a ariel drone-shot video of a USPSA event at Talon on Youtube. I attended a USPSA event at Tallahassee Rifle & Pistol Club before Talon became the venue, and I thought it looked like a fun event.

Dale Gribble
March 3rd, 2016, 11:05 AM
True story. First GSSF match I went to (Conyers GA, I highly recommend it), I won a free gun.

AB
March 3rd, 2016, 11:38 AM
I believe it was Todd Jarrett.

waukeenahbob
March 3rd, 2016, 11:41 AM
I would definitely recommend the USPSA Match... been shooting it for a few years. A great bunch of folks. The gun you have is the one you need to get started and we are now allowing carbines! The match is this Saturday (the first Saturday of the month). You can just show up or you can register on line first.

This is the registration for carbine shooters

https://practiscore.com/tps-carbine-march-2016-talon-range/register

And this one is for pistol shooters

https://practiscore.com/tps-uspsa-pistol-march-2016-talon-range/register

If you have any questions shoot me a PM

JMW4570
March 4th, 2016, 09:30 AM
GSSF is out for me because I don't own a Glock. .

With all the Glocks around I'm sure someone would loan you one to shoot the match. You just need to ask next time the match comes around. Jim

Chumbag II
March 4th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Hell rent one at the Pro Shop the day of the competition, we'd hook you up