PDA

View Full Version : Carbine match at Talon

easternrider
February 5th, 2016, 12:12 AM
This Sunday is the 1st monthly carbine match in the competition bays. All the stages from the Saturday pistol match will be left up, and can be shot on Sunday with rifle. The pistol steel will be grounded for rifle shooters, 150+ rounds for 223, 75 rounds for 308, $20 match entry.

easternrider
February 5th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Registration 8:30, shooters meeting 9:30, shooting starts immediately after.

Ken
February 5th, 2016, 10:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can shoot a rifle/pistol cal. carbine/rimfire rifle on either day. They're making separate squads for long guns and they'll shoot together but I don't think it's limited to Sunday. At least I hope not because I'm showing up Saturday morning with my carbine. This is from the email notice I got:

We will have BOTH Saturday andSunday Schedules!
You can shoot either day orboth days in different divisions.
We are also going to allowCarbines, Pistol Caliber Carbines and 22LR carbines.
We will squad the Carbine folksseparately so that we can easily keep the pistol scores separate for when wesubmit them to USPSA.
To do that we have 2 DIFFFERENTregistration links, one for Pistol and one for Carbine.

waukeenahbob
February 5th, 2016, 11:44 AM
You are exactly right Ken you can shoot either day and shoot pistol or carbine either day

Here are the links to registration page.

You can register the day of but it helps to register ahead of time, you don't have to pay online.

PISTOL here
https://practiscore.com/tps-uspsa-february-2016-talon-range/register

CARBINE here
https://practiscore.com/tps-uspsa-carbine-february-2016-talon-range-clone/register

JMW4570
February 6th, 2016, 12:24 AM
How many ranges are they going to tied up for two days?

Dale Gribble
February 6th, 2016, 07:49 AM
The competition ones in the back.

JMW4570
February 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM
The competition ones in the back.

Duh... The question remains...

Dale Gribble
February 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Duh... The question remains...

Usually all of them.

easternrider
February 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM
How many ranges are they going to tied up for two days?
You seem to be concerned that they are having competitions on the competition bays that were built for competitions. What's up with that?

AB
February 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I shot the match yesterday, although not being a rifle primary guy I used my pistol. Great stages with a lot of foot movement and a few things to think about. Some of those stages got pretty far out there. 6 shots on a 35 yard target, mag change, 6 shots at 15 weak hand only can be humbling! The carbine guys had the option of not going weak hand, but I think Ken shot his carbine weak hand only on his off shoulder.

I shot with Ken and Gatorvet who both used carabines and they had a blast! Only posting for them in case they don't get back to the thread. Pistols are faster to manipulate, but an optically equipped carbine shines brightly when the distances get beyond conversational. Hopefully some folks shot the carbine primary match today and can report back their experiences.

NJC
February 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM
If I'm not working for the next one will probably attend.

Dale Gribble
February 7th, 2016, 06:17 PM
I shot it with the hand gun, as I need more handgun time. It was as always a great time.

Ken
February 7th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Yep, tons of fun with the pistol caliber carbine. Still get to shoot the steel. I'm doin' that again! Although next time I'll try not to run past a target within 12 inches and "fail to engage" it. :mad:

Dale Gribble
February 8th, 2016, 07:54 AM
AB. Wow, the difference between your score and mine is measured with a Calendar. Fruck.

AB
February 8th, 2016, 08:31 AM
When you're a one-trick pony it's nice when you get to do your trick! Thanks for the props!

Dale Gribble
February 8th, 2016, 08:44 AM
When you're a one-trick pony it's nice when you get to do your trick! Thanks for the props!

And when you are a no trick pony you hear the glue factory calling your name.

e.money83
February 8th, 2016, 01:19 PM
dog food bag, here I come...

Gatorvet
February 8th, 2016, 02:27 PM

At least you are out there gaining experience and working on your skills!

0utlaw
February 8th, 2016, 02:56 PM
I got to burn some AK ammo this weekend, felt good to make some smoke and noise. I don't think I'm destined for the dog food factory yet.

AB
February 8th, 2016, 08:36 PM

And yet, you came out and threw down with the rest of us. That's pretty big when there are a lot of shooters that (for whatever reason) don't come out and compete. I keep saying you #1: Don't give yourself enough credit for the work you do, and #2: You get better every time I see you shoot, so you're obviously doing work.

Humans are very good at "Monkey see, monkey do." Coming out and shooting a match is a great way to check out technique and then immediately apply the technique you just saw before you forget it. I was really bad at it when I first started shooting a pistol. Really bad. Do work, get better!

Dale Gribble
February 9th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Its amazing but I'm actually happy with how I did this time. I only totally fucked one stage, and that was the classifier, where I committed 7 procedurals.

AB
February 9th, 2016, 07:37 AM
That classifier is hard!

NJC
February 9th, 2016, 07:39 AM
What's a procedural ??

Dale Gribble
February 9th, 2016, 07:45 AM
What's a procedural ??

I violated the procedure. In this case, I was supposed to shoot weak hand only, and didn't on 7 targets.

NJC
February 9th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Thanks dale. I was being facetious.
I plan on getting procedurals in many COFs then ;-)

easternrider
February 10th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Sounds like this format was fun for a lot of folks. I liked it for sure. There were 4 of us rifle guys on Sunday. We shot the 1st string of the classy straight up, but did off hand/shoulder after the reload on the second string. Good practice if you ever get caught on the wrong end of a wall.

The match had to score USPSA pistol rules. To my knowledge there are no rifle/3gun matches that use points, it's 2 hits anywhere to neuter, or 1 alpha/head shot. I had a blast and just cut loose. I've got to switch from 308 to 223 for the next couple of months and have a new scope I'm trying to get used to.

We should have some 60-75 yard steel at the next one for rifle hits.

AB
February 10th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I'm still trying to find the rifle scores. Any help would be appreciated!

easternrider
February 11th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Scores...we used to get scores on uspsa website, everything right there to look at and compare and analyze. Now they think we just want to know where we placed. Any more than that you've got to dig.

Go to www.practiscore.com
Enter tps in the search
Pic tps carbine or pistol
It will give you placement and percent
If you want details, when you pic the match, there is an option at top of page for "see results in old format". The old format is the only place I've been able to see times and penalties

waukeenahbob
February 11th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I don't think we have any steel that will stand up to full caliber carbines even at that range

easternrider
February 12th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I have an assortment of mgm poppers and plates that I've been hammering at 50yrds for several years. They'll be fine for the 10 hits during a match.

AB
February 12th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Scores...we used to get scores on uspsa website, everything right there to look at and compare and analyze. Now they think we just want to know where we placed. Any more than that you've got to dig.

Agreed. I get a lot out of post-match analysis of times and hits compared to the overall match winner. Shows me what I need to work on as far as time vs accuracy. Valuable tool right there!